7.17.2011

My Perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe

Note- this is a re-post as I switch articles over from my website: OurArmyFamily.com. Original post date was December 23, 2010. 
Every year when it came time to make Christmas cookies, I would search through recipes and try to remember which of the bazillion sugar cookie recipes was the one I made the time before and whether or not I liked it. I have to admit that when it comes to sugar cookies, I am very particular…it has to be soft, but not too soft, and it has to taste just right. When I came across this recipes a couple of years ago, I knew that it was a keeper. It was enough of a keeper that I have noted it so that I am no longer searching each time for the right recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
As far as the directions go, I like to mix in a little different order than you will hear in most recipes as I don’t like to dirty extra bowls. Even with mixing in my order, this recipe comes out perfect and is easy enough for a beginner.  I will also note that I have prepared this recipe both by hand and electric mixer– both work well.
First, mix the wet ingredients in the order given. Mix well after each ingredient.
Add the baking powder and salt. Mix so that all of the ingredients are evenly combined prior to adding the flour.
Add the flour one cup at a time.
Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees so that it heats up while you are cutting out the shapes in the cookie dough.
My hint for rolling out the dough and and cutting the shapes is to sprinkle powdered sugar (otherwise known as confectioner’s sugar) onto some waxed paper (makes for easy clean up) and on top of the dough so that the dough does not stick while being rolled out. Also, lightly powder the rolling pin with the sugar. Using powdered sugar instead of flour allows for a nice sweet taste rather than over floured cookies.  Roll the dough to about a 1/4 inch thick.
As for the quantity, I laugh when I see the number of cookies that sugar cookie recipes say…the truthful answer is that it will fully depend on what size of cookie cutter you use. I average about 2 dozen cookies; however, if you use small cookie cutters you can get a larger quantity.
Bake for 7-10 minutes depending on your oven. Remove when the edges start to slightly turn brown in color.
Let cool for one to two minutes on the pan until the cookies are cooled/firm enough to be moved without crumbling. Do not leave on the actual baking sheet for too long as the cookies will continue to cook from the heat of the pan. I recommend moving to a wire cooling rack for cooling the rest of the way. Allow the cookies to cool completely before frosting or icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment